Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

One motorcycle in 1000 pieces.

I got the bottom end torn apart today (see previous post about tools.) My dad came by this morning and helped with getting the cam out. The bolts holding it in were something else and required rather vigorous use of the impact driver (what a wonderful tool.) After that it was mostly just a matter of using different puller configurations until everything was apart. The slingers were full so that means that the crank really does need to come apart for inspection and cleaning. I was going to do it anyway so it's not a big deal. While the top end has been apart before the bottom end appears to be completely original. It's amazing how well it all worked for over 50 years with minimal maintenance.

Pictures here. Note the amount of crap that came out of the forward slinger. I haven't been able to look in the rear slinger yet but suspect that it'll be about the same.

I still find it amazing that the tolerances on this engine are so close that just heating the engine casing to 200 degrees (this takes longer than you'd think) will allow you to simply slide the bearings out. When cold there's no way you could pull them without damaging something.



( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
Sep. 28th, 2008 04:10 pm (UTC)
Wow dude, hello pieces! That looks pretty rad, but good luck getting everything put back together in the proper order. I imagine you have a servicing guide, but still!
Sep. 28th, 2008 08:24 pm (UTC)
Yeah, I've got multiple exploded diagrams with numbered parts lists. Putting it back together should be akin to assembling some of the more entertaining kits or models that I've done in the past.
Sep. 29th, 2008 11:03 am (UTC)
Oh, don't underestimate him when it comes to taking things apart and putting them back together. He's a pro.
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )