December 15th, 2008

b/w

(no subject)

I've done a bunch of little things to the R50's engine over the last week. It was but the work of a few minutes to repair the cam gear with a small file. The clearances are all good there now. I also installed the new bearing on the end of the crank and replaced the gear case cover. Then the seals went in, which meant removing the gear case cover again so I could get them seated properly. The bottom end is pretty much back together now.

I also dropped the cylinders and pistons in a bucket full of kerosene to try cleaning them up. A stiff wire brush was able to remove a lot of the gunk, though not all of it so they went back in for a couple of days. I need to see if they are further improved.

Tonight I installed the flywheel and tried checking the lateral runout. I'm fairly sure that I did things right, but unfortunately the runout is about 3x what it should be at 0.012, it should be less than 0.004. I'm going to have to see what can be done about that. Hopefully it does not require removing the crank again, that would rather frustrating having gotten this far. It could well be that I'm reading the gauge wrong.