July 5th, 2008


Twelve Hours

That's how long it took gordonmessmer and I to do a brake job on the R50 today. We started a little after noon and finished a just past midnight. That was for just the front wheel. You can't buy new shoes anymore so you have to re-line the old ones. This is easier if you buy molder OEM liners, but I wanted more braking power which means drilling and countersinking the material yourself. We ran out of time to adjust the brakes so I have no idea how well they work yet. I'll get to that tomorrow. I think that the most disappointing part of the whole operation is that no one will be able to see what a good job we did nor how well we cleaned up the old parts.

Also, in order to do all this work I had to spend a bunch of money on tools*. This is not a bad thing. :)

* Woo! Bench grinder!