?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

The brakes, they work.

gordonmessmer came over again today and we finished up the brakes and replaced the ignition cover slide. It's amazing how much work was involved in both of those jobs, but the results were worth it. The brakes seem to work pretty well (haven't road tested them yet) and the ignition switch both looks and works better now.

We also replaced the air cleaner and the rubber o-rings that were supposed to be around it (one was missing and the other was more of an almost-o-ring) as well as the rubber rings that the air intakes fit into. When I finally fired the engine up I think that it was running a lot stronger than before. The old air filter was probably a bit clogged and I think contributed to the rich running of the engine.

When we got into the headlight bucket to work on the switch I discovered more non-original features of the bike. I know that the speedo is not right for the bike, but I didn't know about the ring around it that raises it up... turns out that the speedo was too deep for the bracket that holds it in place so at some point in the past someone took a piece of plastic pipe, cut it about 1/4" thick and covered it in electrical tape. This then went around the speedo setting it up and out of the bucket. Also the wiring needs serious work involving a soldering iron. There's one piece of wire that appears to have shorted in the past burning off all the insulation.

Tomorrow my parents are coming up so I think that my dad and I will see if we can't tune in the carbs. Should be fun.


Before:


After (shiny!):